So, a new ship was to be launched, with the king breaking a bottle of expensive drink on its hull and all that. And what do you know, none other than Assistant Chief Inspector Stover Delft requested that I Kyran Draxby, be part of a special unit of the Royal Homeland Constabulary, one that was to blend in with the crowd and keep an eye out for anyone up to something fishy.
Of course, the first thing I did was contact my fellow Dockers, get a feel for what’s happening in the less shiny parts of Flint – like, MY parts of Flint. Didn’t take long for this to pay off, as one Thense Grinsley approached me. He had heard of me, no surprise, needed someone to help him push for a Docker’s union to represent us and work towards better working conditions. Of course I would be happy to help him, and in return her told me that he heard rumors about someone planing to attack the governor, Rowlins Stenfeld. Guy’s been around forever, being an Aasimar, you know, and now they wanna do away with him? Go figure.
Next I contact my boys – you know, the little ones in the street, kids with their ear on the ground. Made sure quite a few of them would line the alleys and roofs near the dock where the whole thing was to happen, parade, procession, party and all. Turns out that was a good idea, as they indeed caught wind of a few shady looking fellows, Dockers, but not the nice kind. I used my magic to inform Benjamin (or BJ) who indeed spotted one of the guys. Not only that, but also stole the man’s hidden knife from him without him noticing. Takes skill, that.
So, with me messaging BJ and Tedric – our fighter who was positioned with the guards at the checkpoint – we started identifying all four targets. Tedric moved in with some guards, Benjamin caught another one, one ran off and I helped catch the fourth. Not perfect, but good enough to see King Aodhen and Lady Athlin through to the ship along with the governor.
Oh, and then BJ fell into the water. That looked mighty silly.
Other things we found out:
- Ship is the first steam-powered battleship, to be the flagship of the Risur navy, and nicknamed “Boaty McBoatface” (real name as yet a secret)
- Designated captain Rudger Smith has not fought a single battle yet. Odd choice?
- The chief engineer is overheard hinting at a “superweapon” on board
- Ship will go on a brief maiden voyage to Shale; only a couple hours trip
- Ship’s engine is fueled by Fire Gems, which are stored in the back where the boiler is. The 32 canon’s black powder is stored up front.
- The front of the hull is covered in cloth, with also covers a bit, cylindrical object (the weapon?)
- Rowyn hears the engineer talk about a “device that stores magic” on the ship